Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Politics & Music

A few months ago a co-worker and I were discussing various bands and such and it came up that there were certain musicians he didn't like because they were too pro-American while another band which in the past that he didn't like before was now interesting to him because they made a very public anti-Bush statement in London (I'm guessing you can guess which genre and which artists at this point- at least if you're live in the States. Yeah, it's old news. Just bear with me.)

My brother also went from liking an artist and the same anti-Bush band and hating them for various stances.

I think both people are entitle to their opinions. However, it made me realize that if I only listened to music based on politics I wouldn't be able to listen to jack shit! But it was kinda' sad in both cases that these two guys were turning themselves off to some potentially good stuff. Just think of all the ideas, melodies, whatever you get out of music you'd be missing if you weren't willing to listen to someone's music because you disagree with their views on politics, patriotism, the environment, corporate America 0r whatever else. Would be a pretty quiet world.

So there you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home