Monday, October 15, 2007

I Admit It

I cannot deny this any longer. It's been eating at my guts for some time. It's who I am and if it means I'm some sort of monster or something else, so be it.

I think James Joyce is overrated.

Seriously overrated.

I tried to read Ulysses. It bored the shit out of me.

I tried reading the Dubliners and few of his other short stories. I wanted to gouge my eyes out just to prove I was still alive and was not in some sort of circle of Hell where you're forced to read overrated crap.

After reading a few short stories by William Faulkner, I decided to come clean. I enjoyed those immensely. So much I might actually try to track down a novel. That's right. A friggin' book. If not a novel, then a book of short stories. Something! I can't get enough tonight!

I no longer hate famous authors. I want to read again. Just not James fuckin' Joyce. Something tells me that will be my eternity.

4 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger dont eat the token said...

I have a terrible memory when it comes to most authors - but I started reading Hemingway a few years ago and found some of his works to really move me.

Two books that I want to read again:

The Garden of Eden
by Ernest Hemingway

This Side of Paradise
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I love Faulkner. Try The Sound and the Fury, that's a good one.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger The RHS said...

Thanks for the tip, Jamie. In the anthology I read his two short stories in there was a funny interview in which the interviewer was trying to say that "A Rose for Emily" was some sort of allegory for the Civil War and he was all "Sorry, but that ain't right." I love that stuff! But good story. =)

Thanks for the tip too, dont. I'll have to read one of his short stories to see if I can get into him. =)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger dont eat the token said...

Well, the Garden of Eden is about lust and nudity and lovers. That's a plural.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home