Monday, October 03, 2005

It's a Monday

Looks like the rain is back for the year. We had our week of autumn and now here comes winter!

I don't mind the rain too much. Where I grew up it rarely rained. It seemed like it was only sunshine and snow except for in May and in the evenings of late August. The late August thunderstorms were the best. About three in the afternoon the sky would darken and the lightning would strike while the thunder rolled. It seemed like the electricity in the air would creep into your bones and fill you with extra energy for hauling in the last bit of pipe or getting the dams set in the ditches. They weren't always good news though. I remember one spring a bolt struck a tree and killed about 4 of my grandparents's horses- including my gramma' favorite barrel racing horse. And if you had hay down, the rain was no good. You'd have to do extra work to let it dry and wait longer to bail it. But I still miss them and love them. Around here we occasionally get lightning, more lately, but not as much as at home.

I guess the weekend was pretty good. We had a lot of family up and it was good to see them all, though I miss them when they leave. I haven't had the chance to spend more than an hour or two with my mom and grandma for since Christmas, so it was nice to take them to dinner and visit until midnight. I miss them. Same with my in-laws. I'm pretty damn lucky to be able to stay up to 11 on a Sunday night talking to the missus' mom. Maybe that's why yesterday and today have such a lonely feel.

So, now the Jinx is running and I got to see some family. Not a bad weekend- just exhausting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home