Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Drive By Truckers

These guys have been around for a while, but last Monday a co-worker let me rip their CD to my box for a listen. You know, it's some pretty good shit.

The album, Decoration Day, pretty much kicks ass over a lot of stuff I've heard lately. It's from 2003 so I'd be damned interested to hear what their newer stuff sounds like as well as their older stuff.

I won't lie, there's some of the songs I just don't really care for. But there are 4 or 5 gems and then a bunch of other good tracks to boot. So what the hell you gonna' do?

There's a couple of reasons it gets on my good side. One, they have a couple of songs about cars. In my opinion, there aren't enough good songs these days about cars. Other than Rob Zombie, who the hell is putting any out? No one, that's who. Another reason is that there's a grimness combined with a tinge of anger and rawness that comes through. The songs aren't pretty; hearfelt but not pretty. One song in particular, Decoration Day, reminds me of growing up and just the fighting and whatnot happens in a family's history. What I love is it feels like these guys could have came from the same area I grew up in with all the same weirdness, sentimentallism and everything else one develops for a home.

It's just a pretty damn good album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home