Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Notebooks of Optimism

Ahh, how I miss the days of September from when I was still a kid. Nothing felt more optimistic than a stack of fresh notebooks, un-sharpened pencils and the feel of new, unwashed clothes. Every year I'd make the same promises to study hard, get all my homework done as soon as I got home (or on Friday night so I wouldn't have it hanging over my head all weekend) and to drag my ass out of bed so I wasn't having to run for the bus or late for my first class. By the end of September I was back to all my old habits. I studied hard, but in front of the TV. I'd get my homework done, but it was always after practice and dinner, meaning I rarely went to bed before 10 or 11. And Sunday nights- those were spent catching up from procrastinating. I still was always dashing for the bus or hauling ass down the highway trying not to be late for school.

But it's the optimism those crisp mornings and fresh supplies brought on that I guess I'm nostalgic for. Even when I go to the store and buy a new notebook, I feel a little happy inside. Maybe this will be the notebook I pen the great American novel in or get my life all figured out. Maybe this is the notebook my children and grand children will find and realize I was a dumb kid at one time too. Maybe this is the notebook that will change everything.

I'm no good at New Years Resolutions. Never have been, never will be. But maybe I'll set my goals and plans for the year in September from now on, on a fresh notebook, free of flash designs, grocery lists and novels that only make it to one paragraph. Even if they stay empty, there's still the unfulfilled dreams waiting to be written down.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger dont eat the token said...

I have half empty notebooks every-fuckin-where in my house.

I don't think I have the nostalgia like you do ... but I love the idea of a clean slate to start writing in.

Now it'll be like, "Uh, can I get my blog published?"

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger The RHS said...

for some reason my brain works pastorially. oh well.

you keep all your old notebooks too?

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger dont eat the token said...

ALL my old notebooks with doodles and stories written in them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home