Friday, November 03, 2006

Note from the Homeland

Well, though life still feels all disconnected and I feel like I'm living in a floating world of sorts, all in all life is pretty good. I'm back where I (probably) belong, and, save a bum ankle, all are healthy and mostly happy.

Looks like there'll be more travel in my future as well: Atlanta. I gotta' admit, it's another city I've never had much interest in seeing, but it should be fun. Well, as fun as a flight and a night with a meeting can be. I've always wanted to see parts of the South, but the rural South. I guess urban areas are okay. But still, a city is a city, is it not? Please feel correct me if I'm wrong. And if there is something non-touristy that is a must-see while I'm in the ATL, DEFINITELY let me know. That's the stuff I really want to see.

It's supposed to snow any day now. I'm not all that eager for it; I have about 300 feet of fence to build before winter can start. I guess that's just the way it is. I just hope the ground doesn't freeze. Though snow is in the forecast, rain is here. And I love how it smells here when it rains. The wet juniper and sagebrush mix with the smell of loam and wafts off the hills in the most deliciously earthy scent. It smells so old and so familiar. The smell of wet firs and tall grass never smelled like home. This does, as does the smell of alfalfa at night and dry, stubborn heat. All of it familiar and ancient and welcoming.

2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger dont eat the token said...

Your last paragraph is really great. I love the description.

When I was in ATL I wandered from the Underground all the way up to the church that has a neon sign that says "Jesus Saves" and on the way back stopped in a museum.

There are great glass structures downtown and I enjoyed photographing them.

Don't go out late at night, the crowd changes and doesn't seem safe. Hunzer & I did go to some clubs over in the Underground area. We especially liked Alley Kat.

Best wishes for your travels!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I'm non-touristy and live in Atlanta. :)

Downtown (where Annex was) is definitely pee in your pants scary after dark. I live here and won't do that. Midtown is good. For drinks, try the Sundial (restaurant on top of the Westin hotel.) Let me know if there is anything I can help you with!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home